1.10.2006

Swiss Cheese?

Tim: What are you drawing, Cheese?
Me: Swiss Cheese.
I'm learning to use Vectorworks. It's much friendlier than Autocad, which i've been used to using now for 10 years (and more!)...especially when it comes to loading graphics into flat elevations, 3D drawings, etc. Well, i've survived the first 2 days, and i've drawn alot of Swiss Cheese, and my head feels like puffed wheat left in the milk too long.

John here brought his laptop in so I can run Vectorworks training CDs while I work (on swiss cheese), concurrently, on a desktop. It's effective; i'm learning alot fast. I'm not even able to use my swanky new computer yet, because the software isn't loaded yet. Hopefully Thursday I'll be able to sit at my own desk, in the lovely garrett of the dairy barn here, with the other designers. Currently, I'm below at a part-time designer/production assistant's desk who isn't here until after lunch tomorrow.

This place is very busy, everyone seems to juggle alot of work all the time, and many work beyond 7 pm (its 6:45 now, and I'm leaving). Everyone is very friendly and very helpful. It is a tradition here for everyone to participate in some way in welcoming/mentoring/breaking in new staff, and I have to say it IS effective, because I'm getting to know nearly everybody already.

There are office birds that chirp everynow and again, and everytime i hear someone bust out in an unrestrained, loud laugh, it makes me think of Janice. Well, more to come on the pleasures of working for a great company. And more to come on my new environment after the weekend, when I'll finally get net service at home and can blog unencumbered, unrepentant, and ad naseum.

3 comments:

Sam said...

Miss you too! I'm getting a new MacBook Pro (the new super duper mac laptop that was announced this week at MacWorld)! They don't ship till February though. Waaaaa

Sam said...

Here's the link to that fabulous new MacBook:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Sam said...

Yes, I can't wait. It is a very nice notebook. I'm so happy to finally be joining MacWorld. I've always felt inadequate as a designer on a PC.

Fight the H8 in Your State