3.27.2009

Vermont :: Live Free or Die?

That's not the title of a new Charles Busch story. No. I'm sure by now many of you know of what's been brewing in Vermont this week.

Yesterday Vermont Governor Jim Douglas announced that he will veto a gay marriage bill if it passes the Legislature. The marriage equality bill passed in the Senate and is expected to pass in the House as well. He calls this veto a personal decision. Whatever. Seems more like bigotry to me. Stand up and speak out. Call his office today at (802) 828-3333 and tell him that separate is never equal. I'm making my call in few minutes while i have some lunch downstairs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like there will be a veto-proof majority in the house too. I also note the NH house passed a marriage equality bill with a narrow margin.

I'm still waiting for the hearing on house bill H5744 here in RI too. There are 31 co-sponsors on the bill so its serious.

Going to a discussion tonight, National Organization for Marriage (An oxymoron if I ever heard one) and marriage equality go head to head. I can't fucking wait, no rules of decorum that we have in the house and senate.

Will said...

Just a cklarification, "Live Free or Die" is the motto here in New Hampshire. Vermont's is probably something like "Buy our Syrup!"

Sam said...

TS: i'd sure like to see that discussion. wonder if it is online anywhere?

WF: Sorry to mix up the states. How could i have gotten that wrong. Oops

Will said...

Actually, Vermont's motto is "Freedom and Unity!" Apologies to any Vermonters who were offended by my flippancy.

Fight the H8 in Your State